Images & Transport

Further images of the Parkhead and surrounding areas which will show familiar places and modes of transport

PARKHEAD CROSS FROM THE AIR:

© Copyright – The Herald & Times Group

Reproduced Courtesy of The Herald & Times Group.

This is an aerial view looking east over Parkhead Cross and probably one that Parkhead residents are less familiar with.

What do you spy with your little eye?

PARKHEAD CROSS:

© Copyright – The Herald & Times Group

Reproduced Courtesy of The Herald & Times Group.

These are similar views of the Westmuir Street & Tollcross Road junction with the one on the right from a wider angle.  It must have been a rare summer’s day as the one on the left shows the two lads to the right bare chested and with shorts on.

SPRINGFIELD ROAD:

© Copyright – R.J.S. Wiseman

Reproduced with kind permission of R.J.S. Wiseman


Photographic Credit – R.J.S. Wiseman

This is Standard “Hex Dash” Tramcar No. 237 heading towards Parkhead Cross on 28 July 1955.  The shops to the immediate right of the tram are; Humes Wallpaper Store, an Opticians and one called The Wardrobe.  At the Gallowgate on the top left of the photo is Easiephit shoe shop and one called Bells.  Anybody recall these shops?

SPRINGFIELD ROAD:

© Copyright – R.J.S. Wiseman

Reproduced with kind permission of R.J.S. Wiseman

Photographic Credit – R.J.S. Wiseman

Almost identical scene to that above but this one was taken two years earlier on Saturday 8 August 1953.  The crowds are leeaving the Celtic match that day on their way home or heading to the the boozers to drown their sorrows.  The match was a League Cup Tie between Celtic and Aberdeen.  The score was Celtic 0 - 1 Aberdeen.

SPRINGFIELD ROAD:

© Copyright – R.J.S. Wiseman

Reproduced with kind permission of R.J.S. Wiseman

Photographic Credit – R.J.S. Wiseman

Springfield Road at the junction with London Road looking toward Whitby Street.  This shot was taken on 28 July 1955.

DUKE STREET:

© Copyright – R.J.S. Wiseman

Reproduced with kind permission of R.J.S. Wiseman

Photographic Credit – R.J.S. Wiseman

Duke Street at the rail crossing between the Forge Works on Saturday 16 April 1955.

DUKE STREET:

This picture was taken from the book “Glasgow Tramscapes” by Ian Stewart.
Reproduced with kind permission of Ian Stewart.

Photographic Credit – R. F. Mack

Duke Street looking towards Parkhead with Cumbernauld Road to the left.  On the right is an entrance to the Scotia Picture House. This junction was known as Alexandra Cross.

GALLOWGATE:

This photo was taken from Glasgow Trammerung -The Twilight of The Glasgow Tram by Cedric Greenwood and published by Heritage Press now believed to be defunct.  Efforts to contact both were unsuccesful.

A Cunarder heading from Parkhead Cross along the Gallowgate at the railway bridge at Camlachie.