The Mansion, Tollcross park.
Rustic Bridge, Tollcross park.
Tollcross Park, The Glen.
Tollcross Park, another shot of the Glen
The Glen from Rustic Bridge.
Tollcross Park bridge at the Glen with Mansion in the background.
The Museum, Tollcross Park.
Below: Copyright © Herald and Times Group. Reoroduced by kind permission of Herald and Times Group
The Museum circa 1980.
Tollcross Park Bandstand.
Below: Copyright © Herald and Times Group. Reproduced by kind permission of Herald and Times Group
Tollcross Park circa 1940. I believe this is the entrance from the Wellshot Road end of the park.
Main Avenue Tollcross Park
Main Avenue. This access was used by coaches
Tollcross Park, Duck Pond.
Another view of the Duck Pond.
Some road works ongoing on Tollcross Road with the Steam Road Roller parked in Mauckinfauld Road. Note the sign next to the gas street lamp. These were also known as Rockdove & Deerpark Gardens.
Still trying to date this one. The horse and cart straddling the tram tracks on the left is a Barr’s one.
Another earlier version of the above only slightly more forward.
Tollcross UF Church, Tollcross Road.
Reverend William Auld:
William Auld was the son of the Reverend William Auld, Minister of Sir Michael Street Relief Church, Greenock and was born at Glassford in 1806. He studied at the University of Glasgow where he was a creditable student, from which he passed to the Relief Theological Hall, Paisley under the instruction of the Rev. Mr Thomson.
The Rev. William Auld was elected minister by a majority of 60 votes on the 21st November 1832 and ordained on 28th February 1833. There was an ordination dinner in the session house, for which the charge was 2s 6d; the elders being free of charge.
His Manse at Parkhead was for many years a busy marrying centre; and on the Friday of the Glasgow Fair and Hogmanay he would sometimes have ten to fifteen couples attending at his house in order to be made happy.
His Jubilee was celebrated on 24th October 1882.
He died at the manse, Parkhead on 17th April 1885 in the 79th year of his age and fifty third of his ministry and was buried in the churchyard behind the vestry in lair number 498.
An obelisk was subsequently erected to his memory by former members and friends of the church resident in the city, in conjunction with a large number of members of the church. It is of Aberdeen granite, and bears on the east side, in bronze relief, an excellent representation of his features. His wife lies beside him. A large family was reared in the old manse. One of his surviving sons was the Rev. James Auld, who was ordained by The Glasgow United Presbytery (22nd February 1875) as a missionary to Caffraria. For some years the station at Elujilo was under his charge, but since he laboured at Columba in the same colony. He was honoured by being chosen moderator of the South African Church.
Tollcross U.F. Church just prior to demolition
Copyright © Norman McNamee
Reproduced by kind permission of Norman McNamee.
Sketch of Reverend William Auld.
Tollcross Road at Wellshot Road and Braidfauld Street.
Rockdove & Deerpark Gardens, Tollcross Road:
Rockdove & Deerpark Gardens, Tollcross Road at Maukinfauld Drive.
Tollcross Park Greenhouse:
A busy day in Tollcross Park around the Greenhouse.
Tollcross park Greenhouse 2012
A 2012 photo from a similar viewpoint of the above, giving a then and now perspective.
Tollcross Park with old Bandstand, The Glasshouse or Conservatory to the left with Tollcross Mansion to the right.
Main Street, Tollcross with Causeyside Street to the immediate left.
Tollcross Society Limited
To commemorate Tollcross Society Limited. This is positioned at 3 Causewayside Street
Miss Smellie’s class of girls Tollcross School 1908. The School Board System was created by the Scottish Education Act of 1872. The first School Board for Glasgow was elected in March 1873. The Board had 15 seats, and for these 39 candidates presented themselves.
Mr and Mrs Paterson at doorway of family home at number 36 Easterhill Street 1915. This house is long since demolished.
Mr and Mrs Robert Paterson, Easterhill Streeet, Tollcross pictured in 1904 with five of their nine children.
Easterhill Street Shop
Mr Paterson’s grocery shop at number 104 Easterhill Street 1913 located at the corner of Corbett Street at its junction with Easterhill Street. The shop, with internal living accommodation to the rear, gave an uninterrupted view of the former Tollcross Railway Station. There, hanging in the shop window, is an advertisement for Olympia, Bridgeton Cross. 100 years on, Olympia has been restored at a cost of just under £2 million as part of Glasgow’s ongoing east-end regeneration programme. A closer look in the window reveals unwrapped loaves of bread as it was sold in those days.
St Margarets Tollcross Church
Tollcross. Rev Harry was Robert Curries cousin and the Tennent’s were well known family in the district.
Tollcross Mansion Today
Could this be Bobby being fed
Copyright © R J S Wiseman – Reproduced by kind permission of Richard Wiseman
Tram 641 on Tollcross Road at Causewayside Street 20 June 1954. Across the road is the YMCA and shops Clark and J. Runcima.
Tollcross Park Bandstand.
Tollcross – Braidfauld Street
Braidfauld Street with Easterhill Street on the right.
Tollcross Park: band Stand & Greenhouse
Tollcross Park Gate
Tollcross Park Gate on Tollcross Road.
Bob, The Royal Stag:
Bob, The Royal Stag in Tollcross Park.
The Glen Tollcross Park:
The Glen Tollcross Park.
Lovers’ Walk, Tollcross Park:
Lovers’ Walk, Tollcross Park:
Deer in Tollcross Park:
Tollcross rd facing Drumover Dr 1912