HISTORIC HART STREET
HOW PARKHEADS OLDEST STREET GOT ITS NAME
The Airdrie cars were crowded last Sunday, not so much because of the two penny fare as because of the announcement during the week that the last remaining thatched house in Glasgow is at 5 Hart Street, Parkhead, and that the house is one of those that the Corporation proposes to demolish soon.
Quite a crowd of sightseers visited Hart Street on Sunday, many of them with cameras, to view the old house.
The thatched building consists of six apartments made into three houses presently the homes of Mrs, Dunn, Mrs Williams, and Mrs Collins. It is not the only building that is to be demolished. There is a square of houses, of the same type as the thatched ones, except that some are of a two storeys with back stairs, bounded by Westmuir Street, east Wellington Street, and possibly Winning Row, and these are all to come down to make room for new houses.
Mr Alexander Hart
The old fashioned buildings although now clearly ready for removal, were in their time known as good dwellings. Most of them are about 150 years old, and the thatched ones may be even older.
Everyone in Parkhead knows the name of Hart. For as long as anyone can remember Harts, who have been contractors have lived and worked there and have been highly respected.
A Mr Alexander Hart who lived to the age of 91, built Hart Street and gave it its name, and while he may have built the thatched houses it is possible from their appearance, that he bought them over. This Mr. Hart has been dead for about 80 years.
His grandson, also Mr. Alexander Hart, well known as a carting contractor lives in the old home at at number three.
Taken from Eastern Standard 25th Sep 1926.