This page tells the stories of the factories, works, and shops that made Parkhead one of the biggest employers in Glasgow
Park and Paterson
These photos are © copyright of John Dakers
In The Edinburgh Gazette of May 29 1874 the following notice was posted;
The Subscriber of this date ceased to be a partner of the Firm of PARK & PATERSON, Metal Refiners, 6 Main Street, Anderston, Glasgow.
Glasgow 21 May 1874
Witness: Alexander McColum, Weaver, Bleary, Lurgan, Ireland
Witness: james Harrison, Farmer, Moyraverty, Lurgan, Ireland.
In 1876-1877 the firm relocated and was found at 22 Backcauseyway, Parkhead
In 1900-1901 John & William Paterson of 49 Ravel Roaw, Parkhead were shown as being of Park and Paterson
In 1910-1911 John Paterson of 6 Muiryfauld Drive and William Paterson of Braemar, Drumotherhill are again shown as being of Park & Paterson.
In 1933-1934 Robert Paterson of 4 Stewarton Drive, Cambuslang and William Paterson of 6 Buchanan Gardens, South Mount Vernon are shown as being of Park & Paterson.
OLD PARKHEAD CITIZEN DEAD 1925
John Paterson was born in Parkhead and was the Director of the local firm Park & Paterson, Ltd , Metal merchant and refiners of Backcausway Parkhead and Manchester.
Mr Paterson was a well known figure in Parkhead particularly in the music sphere. For many years he was the conductor of the Parkhead Juvenile Choir , a famous East End Choir with a membership of 200 at this time.
Mr John Paterson was also the Hon, Organist and choirmaster of Tollcross U.F.church
Photo taken inside Park & Paterson’s laboratory
Clyde Chemical Works.