Mile End

Brutal Assault & Stabbing

A Brutal Husband : A repulsive looking man named Samuel Gillan, was placed on trial, charged with stabbing and assaulting his wife, Mary Gillan, in their house in William Street (Broad Place), Mile-End, Glasgow, on 31st December last year.  He pleaded not guilty and evidence was led.  It seemed the prisoner had gone home on Hogmanay night the worse of drink, and demanded money from his wife.  She had not given him as much as he wanted, and he had thereupon taken out a pen-knife and stabbed on the back of the head, afterwards striking her on various parts of the body with a poker.  The jury unanimously found the prisoner guilty, and Sheriff Lees passed sentence of six months imprisonment with hard labour, with an additional three months unless the prisoner could find security to the extent of £5 for his good behaviour during the six months succeeding the expiry of his sentence.  His Lordship said the sentence would have been a heavier one but for the fact that the prisoner had never been in trouble before.’

Glasgow Herald, Tuesday 16th March 1888

Fire Extinguishing Experiment

Extinguishing Fire by Steam: Thursday night an experiment calculated to show the utility of steam in extinguishing fires, was again exhibited at Mile-End, Glasgow on the premises of John Clark Junior.  In a house 15 feet by 15 feet and 10 feet high, combustible materials were put in four corners and at the centre, and set on fire and allowed to burn till the flames reached a height of about nine or ten feet, steam was then admitted into the house, which extinguished the flames in less than two minutes, and on opening the door, in a few minutes after, the burning was found to be completely extinguished.

North Devon Journal, Thursday 12th September 1833

Weavers All Out Strike

Strike in the Cotton Trade in Glasgow: The whole of the weavers, numbering over 1000 in Grant’s cotton factory, Mile-End, Glasgow, struck on Thursday against a reduction in their wages.  A fortnight ago Mr. Grant announced a reduction of 10 percent, giving the work people fifteen days to consider their proposal, but they have struck. 400 spinners in the mill have also been thrown out of work.

Sunderland Daily Echo, Saturday 12th October 1878

Templeton Fire

A destructive fire occurred on Thursday in the carpet weaving factory of Messrs J. J. & S. Templeton, Mile-End, Glasgow.  The winding, finishing and beaming departments were entirely destroyed, along with the stock room, in which was stored a quantity of manufactured goods for delivery.  The whole of the hands in the mill, numbering about 400, will be temporarily thrown out of work.  The loss is estimated at about £20,000 and is covered by insurance.

Hampshire Advertiser, Saturday 30th January 1886


Four daughters were born on Saturday to the wife of Albert Colligan of 63 Waterloo Street (Forbes Street), Mile-End, Glasgow.  They are all alive and doing well.

Whitstable Times, Saturday 27th June 1903

Murder Charge

The volunteer sergeant James Martin, who shot the girl Durham with a rifle, in Mile-End, Glasgow, has been committed or trial on a charge of murder.  The case was thoroughly investigated  by representatives of the Crown, and as doubts were entertained as to the condition of the accused, he was examined by a medical gentleman, with the result that it was considered he was quite sane.’

Leicester Journal, Friday 27th September 1878

Reduced to Culpable Homicide

The Glasgow Circuit Court was resumed yeasterday.  In the Old Court – before Lord Young – James Martin, a carpet weaver, residing in George Street (Rogart Street), Mile-End, Glasgow, was charged with the murder of a woman on 7th September, by discharging a loaded rifle.  His plea of culpable homocide was accepted, and the Advocate Depute being satisfied of the statement that under the excitement of a crowd of people invading his house, he put in a loaded instead of a blank cartridge, sentence of 12 months imprisonment was imposed.’

Edinburgh Evening News, Wednesday 25th December 1878

Fire Fatalities

Fire broke out in a single apartment house at William Street (Broad Place), Mile-End, Glasgow, on Saturday night.  The brigade speedily extinguished the flames, but on entering the house, the charred remains of a labourer named Cassidy and his wife were found on the bed.

Falkirk Herald, Wednesday 8th July 1903

Decision Upheld – Appeal Denied

Sheriff Murray, Glasgow, some time ago awarded Nellie Cooper, Bridgeton, £30 damages against George Hunter, 21 Dunn Street for breach of promise of marriage.  Defender appealed against this decision, and Sheriff Berry has issued an interlocutor upholding Sheriff Murray’s decision.  In a note his Lordship gives it as his opinion that the defender was of changeable disposition.

Evening Telegraph, Thursday 1st March 1894

Post Mortem Examination

Yesterday forenoon the body of Catherine Durnan, who was shot in George Street (Rogart Street), Mile End, on the morning of Sunday last, was subjected to a post mortem examination, when the medical gentlemen found that death had been caused by shooting – the ball having entered the body at the left shoulder, passed over the back of the heart, and left the body at a point on the right side of the shoulder blade.  The prisoner we understand will be re-examined today.’

Evening Telegraph, Wednesday 11th September 1878


A man, aged 30 years, and a hansom driver, residing in Mile-End, Glasgow, committed suicide in a cell at the Eastern Police Station, Glasgow, early yesterday morning. He was arrested on Monday night for being drunk, and on a warder proceeding to the cell later on it was found that Carrigan had tied his braces round his neck, and, having fastened the ends to the grating of the fire place, had by that means choked himself.

Morning Post, Wednesday 1st July 1891







Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *