IMAGES & TRANSPORT

The following  are images of the Parkhead and surrounding areas which will show familiar places and modes of transport.

PARKHEAD CROSS

Copyright © Culture and Sport Glasgow (Museums).

Reproduced by kind permission of Culture and Sport Glasgow (Museums).

An early painting (circa 1897-1900) of Parkhead Cross by W. M. Lockhart showing the church in Westmuir Street and a Horse Tram coming up Westmuir Street.  At the cross is the marble water fountain/trough and a baker and confectioner owned by a James Wilson which existed at 617 Great Eastern Road from 1897 to 1906 approximately.

PARKHEAD CROSS

A later image of Parkhead Cross at Great Eastern Road with Westmuir Street in the background  with open topped trams.  James Wilson’s baker & confectioner shop is still in existence.  The downstairs gents toilet has been added.

 

PARKHEAD CROSS

Copyright © Culture and Sport Glasgow (Museums).

Reproduced by kind permission of Culture and Sport Glasgow (Museums).

Another early painting (circa 1897-1900) again by W. M. Lockhart of Parkhead Cross this time showing the junction of Westmuir Street and Duke Street.

PARKHEAD CROSS:

An early photograph of the same scene. The white one storey building is now gone, replaced by the Watson tenement.

PARKHEAD CROSS:

© Copyright Ian Mulholland 2007
Reproduced by kind permission of Ian Mulholland.

Parkhead Cross by Ian Mulholland

This fine print by Ian Mulholland shows the Cross viewed from approximately Burgher Street looking towards Duke Street (formerly New Street) and Gallowgate (formerly Great Eastern Road) with what looks like Standard Trams with one on the 29 route to Tollcross.

On the Corner of Westmuir Street and Duke Street is William Marshall Ltd. Bootmaker, if anyone remembers this shop.
The Watson Building and the Bank Building are clearly depicted.
Springfield Road (formerly Dalmarnock Street) was on the left just near the second lamp post.

 

PARKHEAD CROSS:
© Copyright J.R. Conlin
Reproduced by kind permission of Jim Conlin.

Parkhead Cross By J.R. Conlin
Another fine print this time by Jim Conlin again shows the Cross viewed from Burgher Street looking towards Duke Street (formerly New Street) and The Gallowgate (formerly Great Eastern Road) again with Standard Trams busily chugging along.
Again The Watson Building and Bank Building are clearly depicted.
Springfield Road (formerly Dalmarnock Street) was on the left just near the second lamp post.

 

PARKHEAD CROSS:
© Copyright – The Herald & Times Group
Reproduced Courtesy of Herald & Times Group
Herald & Times Group
This view of Parkhead Cross would appear to be the inspiration for the above painting.  Parkhead Cross and it’s 5 way junction indeed seems to have held strong interest by artists and tram enthusiasts as well as those of us who lived locally. The busy scene emphasises what an important junction Parkhead Cross was at that time.

 

PARKHEAD CROSS:
Copyright Notice and Acknowledgement to follow.
Parkhead Cross
View of Parkhead Cross showing a Standard Tram exiting from Westmuir Street.  The number 15 Service ran to Baillieston.  To the right is Tollcross Road which was formerly Great Eastern Road.

 

PARKHEAD CROSS:
This picture was taken from the book “More Glasgow by Tram” by Ian Stewart and Published by The Scottish Tramway Museum Society which, since the 1980′s is now known as The Scottish Tramway & Transport Society.
Photo and information reproduced with kind permission from Ian Stewart and The Scottish Tramway & Transport Society.
Photographic Credit – Ian M. Coonie
This view of Parkhead Cross seems to have been the inspiration for the preceding painting but with a few modifications.
This is a 1953 view of Parkhead Cross which shows the number 15 Service Standard Tram from Baillieston exiting from Westmuir Street onto the Cross.  The small brick structure in front of the bank is a Glasgow Corporation Tramway  Pointsman Box.  The pointsman controlled the points from this box for the 5 way junction.  There were 4 windows on it which gave views of Westmuir Street, Tollcross Road, The Gallowgate and trams exiting/entering Duke Street and Springfield Road.  The box was usually manned by an employee on light duties or nearing retirement.


PARKHEAD DEPOT – TOLLCROSS ROAD:
This picture was taken from the book “More Glasgow by Tram” by Ian Stewart and Published by The Scottish Tramway Museum Society which, since the 1980′s is now known as The Scottish Tramway & Transport Society.
Photo and information reproduced with kind permission from Ian Stewart and The Scottish Tramway & Transport Society.
Photographic Credit – Ian M. Coonie
An ex Liverpool Green Goddess tram just outside the entrance to Parkhead Depot on Tollcross Road (formerly Great Eastern Road) with Crail Street (formerly Baird Street) to the left and Canmore Street to the right.  The tram to the left of the Green Godess is a sand wagon about to deliver a load for Parkhead’s compliment of trams.

 

PARKHEAD CROSS:
This picture was taken from the book “Glasgow Tramscapes” by Ian Stewart.
Reproduced with kind permission of Ian Stewart.
Photographic Credit – R. J. S. Wiseman
Parkhead Cross viewed from Springfield Road (formerly Dalmarnock Street).
The picture shows a Standard Tram of the number 30 Service making a quick right turn from Duke Street (formerly New Street)  onto the Cross then a quick left turn into Springfield Road.  The trams route board shows it ran from St. George’s Cross to Dalmarnock.  A Green Goddess tram can be seen on the right coming along Tollcross Road onto the Cross.  The bank on the corner of Gallowgate and Duke Street now serves as a hairdressers and tanning salon.

 

PARKHEAD CROSS:
This photo was taken from Glasgow Trammerung -The Twilight of The Glasgow Tram by Cedric Greenwood and published by Heritage Press now believed to be defunct.  Efforts to contact both were unsuccesful.
This is a 1961 view of Parkhead Cross from Tollcross Road looking towards The Gallowgate with Duke Street and Westmuir Street to the right and Burgher Street on the immediate left.  Exiting from Springfield Road is a bus from the Helenvale Street terminus which serviced the outlying housing schemes such as Easterhouse, Provanhall, Garthamlock, Barlanark, Ruchazie etc where a lot of east end families moved to.

 

TOLLCROSS ROAD AT OGILVIE STREET:

I believe my father took this photo as he owned the butchers shop at  340  Tollcross Road ,strange to see only one car parked at the side of the road
© tammccann