Copyright © : Peter W. Mortimer
A short dog-legged street that ran off Camlachie Street. It was named after the Battle of Alma, which took place in 1854 during the Crimean War.
It originally ran from 1023 Gallowgate to Biggar Street and had previously been known as Broad Street East. The west side of the street was dominated by the railway viaduct that carried the well known ‘Croft’ sign of the nearby garage on Gallowgate, whilst the opposite side of the street was taken up with a tenement. On the 2nd August 1961, two eight year old girls and a baby in a pram were injured in the street when part of a wall of a railway arch collapsed on top of them. The street no longer exists and now forms part of the junction on Gallowgate leading into the Forge Retail Park. No longer exists.
A short street that ran from 89 Burgher Street to 100 Helenvale Street, and was named after the hamlet of the same name in Argyllshire. No longer exists.
Ran off 1058 London Road and was originally known as Mordaunt Place. The street was named after the famous firm of William Arrol & Co., whose Dalmarnock Ironworks were located nearby. Arrol’s were founded in 1868 and are perhaps best known for manufacturing the steelwork for the Forth Rail Bridge. Arrol Place was cleared away during the redevelopment of the area and the name still survives as an address in a small industrial estate.
One of the lost streets of Parkhead, it was a cul-de-sac off the north side of Shettleston Road, close to the site of the present Lafarge cement depot. There were five closes in the street and virtually all of the heads of the households are shown in the 1913 Valuation Roll as being labourers. The properties were owned by William Beardmore & Co. Ltd., and it is likely they employed the tenants, given the street’s close proximity to Parkhead Forge. No longer exists.
Still exists, though now shorter than it was originally laid out, when it extended from 171 Westmuir Street through to Old Shettleston Road, which later became Shettleston Road. On the east side, close to Westmuir Street stood the Parkhead Metal Refining Works, built in 1875 for Park & Paterson, metal refiners. The original front facade still exists, and the ground is now occupied as a travelling persons site. Part of the east side was originally known as Colliers Row, which reflects Parkhead’s links as a mining community, with several collieries nearby.
Runs from Powfoot Street to Crail Street and is mainly taken up with housing from the inter war years. It is laid out on the site of what was once a quarry.
Cul-de-sac off 1009 Gallowgate, and it previously formed part of what was known as Broad Street. No longer exists.
Laid out from Tollcross Road at Parkhead Cross to Dechmont Street. It is believed it is named after Burghers, who had a place of worship here.
Possibly one of the least well known thoroughfares in Parkhead. It is the lane that runs down the side of Belvidere Hospital, just past Belvidere Bowling Club on London Road. It was named after Cairncraig House, but has been renamed as Belvidere Avenue following the recent development of that area.
It ran from 792 Gallowgate, at the Fielden Street junction to Stamford Street and was at one time known as Great Eastern Old Road. The village of Camlachie itself, has been referred to as far back as 1300, an the name means ‘muddy bend of the burn’, derived from the Celtic language. It has been variously spelt over the years, including Camblachie, Cumlachie and Camacachecheyn. The burn referred to in the ancient name is Camlachie Burn, which flows through the district, on its way to meet the Molindinar Burn, below Glasgow Green. In a survey of 1590 there is a reference to ‘Cumlachie Brig’. One of the most prominent buildings on the street was the Camlachie Distillery at number 130. It was progressively built between 1853 and 1863, and went on to produce a fine lowland malt. Distilling ceased at Camlachie in 1920 and it became a bonded warehouse. Within the complex stood a villa, known as Burnpoint House, and this was the house of the distillery manager. During the Second World War, Polish troops were billeted in the warehouse buildings. A few hundred yards away at number 100, was an acid works, the premises of Turnbull Stuart & Co., which dated from 1813. By the early seventies both these works had disappeared from the landscape, and Camlachie Street is now no more than a disjointed track, and in no way reflects its lively past.
Runs off 394 Westmuir Street and is named after Queen Caroline. Nearby, close to the junction with Muiryfauld Drive stood the Caroline Coal Pit. The district of Parkhead was founded on two industries, coal mining and weaving, before the Reoch brothers established Parkhead Forge in 1837, which saw the start of industrial expansion in the area.
Runs from 1051 Gallowgate to Dunrobin Street and named due to its proximity to a coal ree or bing. At number 12 was the Glasgow City Mission.
Originally known as Baird Street and named after Robert Baird, an oil and colour merchant. The street runs from 222 Westmuir Street to Tollcross Road, it is named after the village of the same name in Fife. Until 2010, the most dominant building in the street was Quarrybrae Primary School which was built in 1904 to a design by the architects McWhannell and Rogerson. On 11th September 1964 a four year old girl was knocked down and killed in the street. At number 62 a four year old girl was injured when she fell twenty feet into the close stairwell on 6th October 1968.
A cul-de-sac off 989 Gallowgate it was named after the Lands of Croft which were in the vicinity. It was the site of the Emmanuel Church and the street is probably best known for providing the name of a car showroom and garage that stood on Gallowgate, and the name was emblazoned on the railway bridge crossing Gallowgate at this point. The street has disappeared and stood near to the roundabout at the entrance to the Forge Retail Park.
Originally ran from 1262 Duke Street to Dunbar Street, it was once known as Chapel Terrace. The street disappeared when the Forge Shopping Centre was built.
Runs from 60 Canmore Street to 94 Mackinfauld Road, it was at one time home to several works. At number 67 was a foundry built in 1906 for Rennie’s Steel Casting Co., which was later acquired by the chemical manufacturers Domestos Ltd. At 113 was an iron and steel store, the premises of John Donald Ltd, whilst at 77 was the depot of Val De Travers Ltd., asphalt contractors. The street also housed Parkhead Fire Station, which closed when services were transferred to Cambuslang.
A curved street that ran from London Road to Janefield Street, it contained inter war housing all of which is now demolished. Only the line of the road surface remains.
A short street that ran off 1101 London Road, and was previously known as Barr Street.
Runs from 824 Springfield Road to 114 Helenvale Street and takes its name from the Dechmont Hills which lie to the south of Cambuslang. At number 22, in the backlands of the tenement once stood a billiard hall, accessed through a pend. It later became the site of a children’s playground. A tenement at number 38 has no close fronting on to the street, with access being gained at the rear of the building.
It ran off 379 Janefield Street to 21 Malcolm Street and was laid out on the site of the original Celtic Park. It was named after Delburn House and was dominated by tenement closes and disappeared when Barr’s extended their works. A few incidents connected with the street are reported in the newspapers of the 1960′s. At number 12 a 26 year old man died in a house fire on the 31st July 1960, whilst at number 44 a sixty nine year old man died following burns received in another house fire on the 24th October 1968.
Close to Parkhead Cross, it runs from 17 Westmuir Street to East Wellington Street and was originally known as Gray Street. It was named after the Gray family, who were owners of the nearby Carntyne Estate. On 26th November 1968, a 17 year old youth was attacked in the street by a gang and had his thumb cut off.
Runs from 291 Tollcross Road to Muiryfauld Drive and part was previously known as Girard Avenue. At number 16 stood Tollcross Parish Church, built around 1905.
Believed to be the longest street in Britain, it was measured and found to be marginally longer than London’s Oxford Street. It extends from 234 High Street and runs all the way through to Parkhead Cross, and takes its name from the Duke of Montrose, and was also known as Carntyne Road over part of its distance. The portion of Duke Street that runs from Shettleston Road up to the Cross was at one time known as New Street. The west side was dominated by Parkhead Forge which was established in 1837 by the Reoch Brothers, and later came under the ownership of William Beardmore. The company was an industrial giant and at one time employed 40,000 people throughout all their works including Parkhead, Dalmuir and Inchinnan. The company is possibly best remembered for the armaments they manufactured during the two World Wars, and the iconic rail crossing at the Duke Street/Shettleston Road junction, where shunters would carry goods between various parts of the works.
At number 1317 stood the Granada Cinema which opened in 1935 and could accommodate 2400 patrons. Like many other Glasgow cinemas, it became a bingo hall in its latter yaers before closing in 1995. It lay empty for some years after before being demolished and the site being taken up with a housing project. Before the Granada was built, another picture hall stood on the site called The Louvre and it dated from 1914. Across the street from the Granada, and slightly further up towards the Parkhead Cross stands a tenement built in 1902 to a design by Burnet, Boston & Carruthers, in a French Renaissance style. It is built on the site of George Henry Farmer’s public house, which is now covered by the former Clydesdale Bank on the ground floor of the tenement.
In the relatively short part of Duke Street that could be considered as being in Parkhead there is a history of public houses. At number 1344 was the Le Bon Apetit, a bar /restaurant that took over the premises that was the original Parkhead Post office in 1960. It later became The Duke of Tourraine, and had further name changes being known variously as Hiccups, The Gallery and the Thistle Tavern. Across the road, at number 1325 was The Pippin, later known as Danny Mac’s. Two pubs to have disappeared completely from the landscape were the Palace Bar at number 1285, and at 1257 The Hare and Hound.
Another one of Parkhead’s lost streets, it ran off 1340 Duke Street and like Croydon Street vanished when The Forge Shopping Centre was built. It was originally known as Dawson Street and was named after James Dawson, a local builder.
Runs off Society Street and was originally known as East Union Street. It was the site of the Camlachie Pottery, owned by Watt & Co., and traded during the 1860′s.
East Wellington Street
Still in existance, it runs from 1251 Duke Street to Hart Street. The north side of the street was almost entirely taken up by Parkhead Forge, whilst at number 21 stood a warehouse, the premises of John Fleming, provision merchant. Further east at number 134 was the stables of Alexander Hart, cartage contractors, and at number 226 was the Parkhead Boiler Works, owned by Muir & Finlay, boilermakers.
A street full of tenements that ran off 871 Springfield Road to Delburn Street. Like Delburn Street it was laid out on the site of the original Celtic Park, and later disappeared when the lemonade factory was expanded.
Runs off 1340 Gallowgate and part of the street was once known as Whinny Park Place.
Ran off 1401 Gallowgate to Dawson Street although is now much shorter.
Cul-de-sac off 823 just to the west of Vinegarhill. It was named after its close proximity to Camlachie Foundry. It disappeared under the car park of the Forge Retail Park.
Cul-de-sac off 1181 Gallowgate and originally formed a path to Longpark Cottage. It was once known as Carntyne Place. No longer exists.
One of the principal routes into Parkhead from the city centre, it extends from Glasgow Cross to Parkhead Cross. The portion from Millerston Street to Parkhead Cross was previously known as Great Eastern Road, but became part of an extended Gallowgate in 1925. At number 845 Gallowgate at Camlachie was the Vinegarhill Showground which was established around 1870. It was the site of a vibrant carnival and showground attractions, as well as having a theatre which later showed films. There are a number of very vivid newspaper accounts of the attractions at Vinegarhill. It was owned by the Green family who also built Green’s Playhouse at Renfield Street, the largest cinema in Europe with 4400 seats, and was later known as The Apollo, becoming one of the UK’s premier rock and pop concert venues.
Across the road from Vinegarhill at number 976 was Camlachie Police Station, built in 1877 to a design by the city engineer John Carrick. By the 1960′s it was no longer in use and was demolished in 1977. Slightly further east, at number 1004 stood the Camlachie Institute, opened on 1st May 1890, it became the focal point for community life in the area, with drama, judo and music classes all being held there. At number 1026 was Camlachie Primary School, opened in 1876.
At number 1456 is the Trustee Savings Bank building, which dates from 1908. It was designed by the Glasgow architect John Keppie, and it is believed the Charles Rennie Mackintosh may have been involved in the project, as he was a junior partner in Keppie’s firm at the time. The sculpture at the top of the building signifies Prudence Strangling Want. For a few years the premises were used as a bar/restaurant, but currently lie empty.
At number 1264 is Janefield Cemetery opened in 1847 on the lands of Little Tollcross. The 24 acre site contains around 19,000 graves, a Jewish Section and many war graves.
At number 1306 was the aerated water factory of A G Barr, who established their premises here in 1887. In 1901 they began to make their famous Irn Bru brand, which was to define them and became a market leading flavour. In recent times the factory has closed with new housing now occupying the site, and Barr’s moving out to new premises at Cumbernauld.
At number 1494 stood the grain mill premises of J & J Kent, later occupied by Adams Bros, scrap merchants.
There is no street in Glasgow that has had as many pubs along its length than Gallowgate, with reportedly up to 163 drinking establishments. In the Parkhead area there have been and still exist several;
989 : The Croft, also known as Stevenson Taylor’s
1023 : The Grange, also known as McLean’s
1046 : The Mill Inn, also known as McLaren’s
1051 : The Reunion Bar
1287 : The Grove
1299 : The Reekie Linn
1316 : Old Black Bull
1401 : The Anchor
1413 : The Old Straw House, also known as The Five Ways
Ran off 106 Crail Street, it no longer exists, although the name lives on with Grier Path which is now in the vicinity.
It runs from 301 Westmuir Street to Shettleston Road and is named after Alexander Hart, a local cartage contractor.
Helenvale was the name of a proposed village that was to be laid out in the area pre 1830, but the scheme was never realised. The present street runs from 48 Tollcross Road to London Road and was known in the old village of Parkhead as Coach Road. The portion on the east corner with Tollcross Road, where the library stands, was once known as High Belvidere and also Browns Land, just beyond this corner and stretching east along Tollcross Road was a row of houses known as Shinty Ha’. On the east side of the street is the now derelict Helenvale Park, which was formally opened on 2nd September 1924 by the Duke of York, who later became King George VI, and it was known as the Corporation Transport Ground. At number 150 stands Calton Parkhead Parish Church, built in 1935 as Newbank Church. At numbers 18 to 26 once stood a soap works, premises of Kennedy & Reid, the site now occupied by modern housing.
At numbers 52 to 62 stands an Art Nouveau style tenement, built in 1902 to a design by John Hamilton.
It runs from 1046 Gallowgate to Janefield Street and was originally known as East Hope Street. A row of one storey tenements dating from the mid nineteenth century stood on the east side of the street, and further along at number 49 still stands the Parkhead Factory. It was built in 1906 as a weaving mill for Clark & Struthers, gingham manufacturers, and later became the premises of Cardowan Creameries Ltd., who still occupy the building.
Runs off Society Street and was once known as East Hill Street.
Another street that disappeared when the Forge Shopping Centre was built, it originally ran off 1297 Gallowgate. It was originally known as Burn Road wand was renamed Invernairn Street after the title adopted by William Beardmore as Lord Invernairn in 1921. The street was also the site of the Home Brewery, founded in 1865 by George Dalrymple, later being acquired McLachlans Ltd., brewers and bottlers.
It runs from 180 Stamfor Street to Springfield Road and is named after Jean Holmes, the wife of Robert McNair who owned land in the area, that later became Janefield Cemetery. The west part of the street was originally known as Porter Street and may have been named after John Porter, a local brickmaker and tenement builder. At number 80 stood the Mountainblue Cooperage, premises of Thomas Stevenson, coopers. It later became the Camlachie Cooperage.
Cul-de-sac off 1135 London Road and at number 95 is the location of Celtic Park, home of Celtic Football Club, founded in 1888. In 1967 they became the first British team to win the European Cup.
Originally ran alongside the railway line off London Road. It no longer exists and the site is occupied by the Velodrome for the Commonwealth Games.
Runs from Glasgow Cross to Hamilton Road at Mount Vernon, it is reputedly the longest ‘road’ in the UK, with a portion of it going through the Parkhead district. At number 1139 is London Road Primary School, built in 1905 to a design by Turnbull & Thomson. At number 1400 was Belvidere Hospital, built in 1887 by the Corporation of Glasgow as an isolation hospital for infectious diseases. The 25 acre Belvidere Estate was owned in the 18th century by John McCall a Glasgow merchant. It later passed to the McNair family who owned the nearby Jeanfield Estate. The site has now been developed into housing.
At numbers 1337 to 1341 stood the United Thread Mills which along with the Springfield Foundry at number 1323 disappeared when the Helenvale Flats were built. Also in the vicinity was Springbank House.
London Road is home to a good number of public houses along its length, but only a few in the Parkhead area. At the junction with Springfield Road are The London Road Tavern at number 1285, whilst on the opposite corner at 1293 stands Flynn’s, also known as The Springfield Vaults. At number 1257 is Turnstiles pub, which only does business on match days at Celtic Park, and is located in the former Co-op premises.
Like Delburn and Edmiston Streets, a tenemented street running from 811 Springfield Road that disappeared when A G Barr developed their works. It was originally known as McDougall Street, having been named after Thomas McDougall, a local tenement builder.
Arguably one of the least known streets in the district, it was a cul-de-sac that ran off 3 Janefield Street, just at the railway arch into Stamford Street. It was later blocked off by a gate when it became the premises of the Tennants Brewery maintenance depot.
Runs from Fielden Street to Yate Street and takes its name from the Blue Mountains of Jamaica. William Lyons who owned the Barrowfield Potteries, had sugar plantations in Jamaica and acknowledged the mountains there in the street name.
It ran from Burgher Street to 64 Helenvale Street and was named after James McEwan of Helenvale, whose son James was a well known tobacconist in the city. It was originally known as Jack Street.
Named after Thomas Nisbet who owned the nearby Westmuir Colliery, it runs from 105 Westmuir Street to East Wellington Street. At number 30 stood the Pheonix Cabinet Works, built around 1896 for Crichton & Mooney, upholsterers, and later the manufacture of coffins. On the opposite side of the street, further along at number 35 was St. Michael’s Primary School, which closed in the early 1960′s when a new school was built in Springfield Road.
Runs from 314 Tollcross Road to Canmore Street.
A short street with tenements on both sides that ran from Janefield Street to 23 Edmiston Street. At number 21 on the 20th of July 1969 a nine year old boy died when a washhouse in the back court collapsed on top of him. The street no longer exists.
Cul-de-sac off 31 Quarrybrae Street. It was here that a man was murdered on a piece of waste ground on 16th March 1966.
Running from 105 Crail Street to Muiryfauld Drive, it originally led to a quarry. At number 31 is a model lodging house, opened in 1927 with accommodation for 103 persons. It later became Quarrybrae Community Centre.
Runs off 296 Westmuir Street and was named as it was formed on a knowe or small hill, leading to a quarry. At number 21 was Quarryknowe Masonic Hall, premises of St. John’s Masonic Lodge.
A short street running from 73 Westmuir Street to East Wellington Street, it takes its name from Parkhead’s weaving past, from ravel or ravelings, which was tangled yarn. Part of the street was previously known as Western Place. At numbers 23 to 27 was a stables and workshop, built in 1906 for John Roy, joiners. It was later known as W & A Roy.
Runs north off 447 Shettleston Road to Carntyne Road, and was named after William Rigby who was a manager at the nearby Parkhead Forge. At number 139 was the wheel and axle works of William Beardmore & Co., engineers. The works were built in 1906 and formed part of the sprawling Parkhead Forge which stretched from Camlachie to Carntyne. The axle works were later owned by Glasgow Railway Engineering Co. Ltd. At number 92 was a crane works, built in 1904 for the Glasgow Electric Crane & Hoist Co. Ltd., and later acquired by Sir William Arrol & Co. Ltd.
At number 231 a husband and wife were attacked and seriously injured in their home on 25th January 1967. A man was later charged with attempted murder.
Runs off 1281 Duke Street and is named after the victory at Salamanca in Spain by the British forces over the French in 1812. At number 121 was the Pheonix Cabinet Works, built in 1896 for Crichton & Mooney, upholsterers. It later became the premises of Fyfe & Douglas, coffin manufacturers.
The main route from Glasgow to the ancient settlement of Shettleston starts at Duke Street, next to the site of Parkhead Forge, and runs through to what was the old city boundary. It forms the northern edge of Parkhead.
Runs off 1326 London Road and was originally known as Steven Parade. It was named after tenement builder William Stevenson, and his ‘WS’ initials can still be seen, etched into the stonework of the tenement at the corner of London Road. At numbers 13 to 25 stands Belvidere Bowling Club, which dates from 1861. At number 48 was Springfield Park, home of the now defunct football club Strathclyde FC.
Runs from 1063 Gallowgate to Humber Street, and is believed to take its name from the Camlachie Old Friendly Society, which was established in 1772. In former times the street was dominated by low rise dwellings, similar to those that existed in Holywell Street. They were replaced by inter was housing which recently underwent refurbishment. At number 32 stood a chemical works, premises of William Gardiner & Co., chemical manufacturers.
It links 119 Tollcross Road to Westmuir Street and is laid out on the site of the old quarry (see Beattock Street also), and is named after the village of the same name in Wigtonshire. At number 47 stood a labour exchange, whilst at number 26 was St Paul’s Episcopal Church.
Small Cul-de-sac off 51 Sorby Street.
It runs from 557 Dalmarnock Road to 1422 Gallowgate linking Parkhead with Dalmarnock. It was previously known as Dalmarnock Street and ‘Dry Thrapple Loan’, which suggests it was a dusty thoroughfare which left travellers with a parched throat. It takes its name from the lands of Springfield, which were owned by the Millar family, who were calico printers. Millerfield Street recognises the family name.
At number was the Black Cat Cinema, opened in 1921 by the eccentric showman A.E. Pickard, and could seat 900 patrons. It later became a television studio run by BBC, and did on ocassion, transmit ‘The White Heather Club’. The building is now in use as a warehouse. It was originally the site of Dalmarnock Laundry.
At number 452 was Riverside Primary School, built in 1933 on the site of the Springbank Brick Works, later known as the Mauldslie Brick Works. The school was ‘E’ shaped and took its name due its close proximity to the River Clyde. Its football pitch was the first school playing filed in Glasgow to have floodlights. The school closed in 1984 and was subsequently demolished. The site is to house the athlete’s village for the forthcoming Commonwealth Games.
At number 871 is Newlands Primary School, built in 1895 to a design by Andrew Balfour. It was later used as premises by the Social Work Department.
At number 636 stood the Springfield Wire Works, premises of Begg Cousland & Co. Ltd., wire manufacturers. Further on, at number 774 is the Clansman public house, later known as The Oak bar.
On the 29th March 1993 a tenement at number 870 to 872 collapse injuring two women.
The main street through the Barrowfield housing scheme, it originally ran from 995 London Road to 1020 Gallowgate, though it is now altered. At number 100 was a chocolate factory, built in 1899 for the Sweetmeat Automatic Delivery Co., and later Reeves Ltd. It made chocolate bars for vending machines. The premises later became the Sunblest bakery, and were damaged by fire on the 22nd February 1967. The whole complex was demolished in 1994.
It ran from Croft Street to Biggar Place, and was named after Robert Stobo of Stobo & Bathgate, property agents. It no longer exists.
Runs from Drumover Drive to 37 Muiryfauld Road and is named after Alfred, Lord Tennyson, Poet Laureate in 1850.
Built on the site of Westmuir Quarry, which was owned by Thomas Nisbet.
Runs from Parkhead Cross through the ancient lands of Tollcross and on to Hamilton Road. Number 190 was previously known as Hillpark Place. At number 49 was the Parkhead Picture Palace, opened in 1921 to a design by George Gunn with seating for 1250. It was known locally as the ’3 P’s’ and was demolished in the 1960′s. The site is now occupied by a tenement with a pawnshop on the ground floor.
At number 64 stands Parkhead Library, built in 1906 to a design by J R Rhind, it was one of the so called ‘Carnegie libraries’ which were built in the city with generous funds provided by Andrew Carnegie, the Dunfermline born industrialist and philanthropist. Next door at number 80 is Parkhead Washhouse, built in 1905 to a design by the City Engineer A B McDonald.
Along the road at number 252 is Parkhead Tram Depot, built in 1921 for Glasgow Corporation Tramways Department, and now in use as a bus garage. Within the garage is a war memorial to the fallen of World War 1.
At 136 is the Salvation Army Hall. The foundation stone was laid in August 1907, and the building featured in the ‘Who Do You Think You Are’ television series when political commentator Jeremy Paxman visited the hall whilst tracing his family tree.
At number 65 is possibly the oldest public house in Parkhead, the Bowlers Rest, which took its name from the bowling green which stood behind the site of the pub. It has also been known as Whitelaw’s. Just past the site of Parkhead Washhouse was an old hostelry known as the White House Inn. It was a single storey former weaver’s cottage, and became a pub in the 1850′s.
At number 198 is The Tavern public house, which dates from the 1930′s as a licensed premises. At number 22 stands a billiard hall. It was badly damaged by fire on 8th March 1962, when it was believed a fire had started when when intruders tried to blow open a safe in the premises.
A 25 year old woman was killed and two other women injured when they were knocked down in the street, near to its junction with Sorby Street on13th March 1963.
It runs off 315 Wellshot Road and is named after John Train of John Train & Taylor, builders and contractors based in Dalmarnock.
A cul-de-sac off 1253 Gallowgate, it no longer exists. It was named after the van works of J H Kelly, who had a factory at number 15, which was built in 1904. The premises were later acquired by William Beardmore. Number 3 was previously known as Bella Place.
A cul-d-sac off 867 Gallowgate, it no longer exists and disappeared below what is now the Forge Retail Park. It is likely to have been named after the vinegar works of D King & Co., who established themselves around 1837, although it has also been suggetsed the name derives from the Battle of Vinegarhill at county Wexford in 1798.
The North British Oil & Grease Works stood at number 49, and were built in 1875 for Joseph Jack, roisin, oil distillers and grease manufacturers. At number 61 was a gut works, premises of John Noonan, gut merchants.
It runs from 1 Tollcross Road to Shettleston Road and could be described as the epicentre of the district. In former times Shettleston was made up of three distinctive parts. Furthest east was the settlement known as Eastmuir, a name that survives to the present day. The main village was known as Middle Quarter, and was situated around Shettleston Cross at the Shettleston Road/Darleith Street/Wellshot Road junction. The last part, at the edge of what we know as Parkhead was called Westmuir, hence the name of the street. Number 156 was previously the site of Anderson Place.
Numbers 181 to 201 were previously known as Sebastopol Terrace and named after the city of the same name in Crimea.
At numbers 5 to 15 stands a tenement known as the Watson Building. It was built in 1905 to a design by Crawford & Veitch, and busts of various members of the Watson family are clearly visible. They owned a significant amount of property in and around the Parkhead area, and lived at Muiryfauld Drive. James R Watson was a Professor of Chemistry, whilst George R Watson was a merchant and victualler.
At number 17 stands a store, built for W H Wyllie Ltd., grocers. In the late 1970′s it became a Chinese restaurant and a piece of Parkhead folklore was born, when it later closed down after dogs were found in the hanging in the freezer.
At number 79 is Parkhead Congregational Church, built in 1879 to a design by Robert Baldie. The frontage of the church recently underwent stone cleaning and the addition of a new entrance. At the corner with Sorby Street at number 110 was Parkhead East Church, built in 1878 and now demolished, the site now being occupied by a housing development.
At number 270 was an oil and tallow works built around 1909, premises of Cardno & Co., oil and tallow refiners. The premises were later owned by D. Willox Ltd., chemical manufacturers. The owner, David Willox, was active in local politics and wrote his reminiscences of Parkhead.
At 135 is Parkhead Public School, built in 1879 to a design by Hugh MacLure. It was later used as a careers office but currently stands in very poor condition with no defined purpose.
At number 105, two young girls had to be rescued from a back shop following a fire on 1st August 1967.
At number 357 a 4 year old boy died in a house fire on 15th December 1962.
On 19th July 1995, near to the junction with Nisbet Street a 36 year old man was stabbed to death.
Public houses on Westmuir Street : The Prince Charlie at number 89 was originally known as Craibs, whilst at number 174 is O’Kane’s also known as the Two Bells. Further east at number 243 was the Anchorage, sister establishment of the Anchor Bar on Gallowgate at Parkhead Cross. Ward’s Bar, now demolished was known locally as ‘the daft shoap’ and reputedly had peever beds painted on the floor, and a horse is said to have drank beer at the bar.
An angled street that runs from 770 Springfield Road to Dechmont Street. It was originally known as Thomson Drive and later became Winston Street when it was named after Winston Churchill who married Clementina Hozier, she was the daughter of a local landowner. One side of the street is covered by a row of tenements, whilst the other side was once the location of Parkhead Railway Station, which was opened in the early 1900′s. In July 1914 King George V and Queen Mary alighted at the station to visit the nearby Parkhead Forge of William Beardmore. The station was for a time known as Parkhead Stadium Station, and was eventually closed in the early 1960′s.
Cul-de-sac running off 1300 London Road it once boasted tenements on both sides, now reduced to just one side of the street. At number 20 once lived actor John Cairney.
Ran from 239 Westmuir Street to East Wellington Street, and takes its name from the Winning family, who lived in the area.
Originally ran from 976 Gallowgate to Law Street but is now shorter and altered. It was named after James Yates of Woodville in Devonshire, who gifted the Isle of Shuna to the city in 1829. At number 85 stood a works, the premises of Vulcanite Ltd., felt manufacturers and later owned by Brander Cullen Engineering Co. Ltd. It is now the site of the Bambury Centre.
At number 85 was a confectionery works, premises of Edward Mackenzie. Now demolished.
At its junction with Gallowgate the shape of a football boot, ball and goalpost was set into the cobbled surface.